The SEVIS I-901 fee is mandated by the Congress to support the program office and the automated system that keeps track on all exchange visitors and ensures that they maintain their status while in the United States.
Each exchange visitor issued a DS-2019 is responsible for paying for this fee.
The fee is used to:
- Maintaining and updating the SEVIS system
- Hiring and training the SEVIS Liaison Officers
- Managing the SEVP Office:
- Supporting the current version of SEVIS, developing and deploying the next generation of SEVIS
- Developing SEVP policies and procedures
- SEVIS-related training, assistance and problem solving services to the schools and exchange visitors sponsors
- Maintaining the supervision to ensure that:
- Schools are maintaining accurate, timely information
- Students or exchange visitors who fail to maintain status either leave the United States or apply for reinstatement