You want to apply to your dream job and want to do everything correctly to make sure you get the position? Then it is important to give the perfect first impression, starting with your resume and cover letter. But what exactly is a cover letter?
A cover letter, also known as a motivational letter, is a first impression we give when applying to a job. It is a one-page letter written to the person or organisation offering the position you're applying for. A well-written cover letter should introduce you and encourage the person reading it to take a look at your resume as well.
Cover letters help employers screen candidates to see how interested, passionate, and knowledgeable you are about the position or industry. If your cover letter impresses, the recruiter will spend time reading your CV, which could end up landing you an interview for your dream job. If you would like to get some tips on how to write a good CV have a look here.
Back to your cover letter - so I'm assuming that you want to give that perfect first impression but maybe you are not sure yet how to write a cover letter like that, then don’t worry and just keep reading as we will show you step by step.
Even though every cover letter should be tailored for the job that you are applying for, there are a few things all of them should include.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Always write a cover letter. Even if the company doesn’t ask for a cover letter in the job description, it doesn't hurt to include one anyway. It shows that you are really interested and are willing to put the extra effort in it.
- Make sure it differs from your CV. The purpose of a cover letter is to catch the eye. Use it to draw attention to the specific skills and experiences that make you the perfect candidate for the job.
- Show that you did your research. A personalized cover letter demonstrates that you know about the company you are applying for. Find some insights about the company that you are applying for and integrate them in to the body of your cover letter.
- Tailor it to the job you are applying to. Match your qualities with the values and mission of the company. Also, try to back up your experiences with solid examples.
- Keep it short, clean, and straight to the point. Your cover letter should be around 250-300 words. After you’re done writing it, proofread everything to make sure there are no spelling and grammar mistakes.
Now you should know everything in order to write the perfect cover letter! If you should still need help finding the right internship in hospitality then reach out to us and we'll help you find the right fit.