In the stressful world of hospitality even the true hospitalians in their heart sometimes need a bit of motivation to keep going. And who is better to mentor you than well-known hospitality giants?
Take a look at this collection of quotes from world-renowned field professionals to inspire you and remember them the next time you open the door to a not-so-polite customer, a sauce splits after the third try or a-bit-too-ridiculous requests in the restaurant seem never-ending.
- Don't distinguish yourself by how few mistakes you make but by how well you handle those mistakes. - Daniel Meyer
Because in the end, no one will remember your mistakes if you handle them well and not crumble under pressure!
- There is always something new to learn and new horizons to discover. - José Andrés
Even if you are a world-renowned chef like José Andrés.
- Life just doesn't hand you things. You have to get out there and make things happen. That's the exciting part. - Chef Emeril Lagasse
- Never say no when a client asks for something, even if it is the moon. - César Ritz
Even if you know it is impossible, the effort is what matters, and the effort is what the client will appreciate if you deliver a negative answer.
- It is wisdom to profit by yesterday's mistakes. It is fatal to hang onto yesterday's victories. You limit yourself. The future should be expanding. Yesterday's experiences are the foundation on which you build today. - Conrad Hilton
- When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about. - Thomas Keller
Making people happy is what hospitality is in its’ core, and if your client is happy, then you have achieved perfection.
- When you're on the floor, never allow anybody to pick you up. It doesn't matter how long you stay there, make sure you pick yourself up and dust yourself down. Whatever happens, whether you go home today or you don't go home today, that's irrelevant. What's relevant, is you take the knowledge from the experience and you grow as a person. - Marco Pierre White
Just as Mr. Hilton once said, hospitality is all about filling the earth with light and warmth, and that is a lifelong learning process. Learn from the best, working in the top hotel and restaurant brands abroad by applying here and keep improving!